Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Smartwool T-Shirt (Microweight) Review

Worth every penny, if... you are a true outdoor enthusiast that does not mind spending some coin for great comfort.  Bottom line:  True to size for a form fitting base layer, but size up if you like a loose fit.  If you have sensitive skin and usually wear soft cotton you'll notice, but it is unparalleled in technical comfort.

Extended review:
First, the fit.  Smartwool's Microweight merino wool T-shirt is  trim, and body hugging, which is perfect for a base layer.  If you work out, like the guy modeling it in their website, it'll be flattering.  If you're like the other 99% of us, it'll show every bump and lump.

Next the feel.  This really is T-shirt weight and were it not for the label saying its 100% wool, you would never guess that.  While not the scratchy, itchy, wool from the sweater your grandma knitted you, this shirt isn't Egyptian cotton either.  To be fair, its wool, and comfortable next to the skin...for wool.  However, its not even close to being as soft as my graphic t-shirts from more fashion-oriented retailers (i.e - Express or Banana Republic).  Not being critical, just being real.

BUT, compared to my everyday graphic T's, this shirt trounces in technical performance.  Actually, there is no comparison.  I bought two of these (blue and green) over a year ago and have worn them as a base layer while boarding in Utah POW, and as T-shirt in Liberia Africa in their rainy season (still 90F+ with humidity like no other).  In both extreme contexts, this shirt performed amazing well.  In cold, wintry Utah, it was warm, and did its job wicking sweat away as I tromped through back country flats.  Never felt clammy.  In Africa, I slept in this, sweat in this, and got rained on in this.  It always felt cool, dried quickly, and never stank.  Amazing really.  In between trips, I wore this to the gym, layered under dress shirts for style (and comfort), etc, very versatile.

My only concern is durability.  As I said, I bought two shirts.  One shirt got a small run in it right by my belly button within a few months.  That one went back for warranty.  The other one, over the year, and with extended wear, got holes and runs in the arm pit area.  This one I'm not sending back because I really did wear it hard (because I loved it so much) and for sure got my money's worth for what I believe was a fair "lifetime of the product."  (I did darn the holes to extend the life a bit.)

I wish I could afford a dozen of these in as many colors as they make, but I can't.  That said, they are the perfect gift, for the outdoor enthusiast that has "everything" or at least thinks they have everything--until they get one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment